Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Liver and Onions with Collard Greens and Corn

I hope everyone had a nice Labor Day. We used our day off to explore a couple of neighborhoods in Queens. We continue to expand our horizons and consider new places to live. A couple of neighborhoods were really promising, but we haven't found an actual apartment we like yet.


Labor Day is often associated with cook-outs, grilled meat and all those great summer foods. We don't have a grill, so we had something more akin to a Sunday dinner (on Monday). We had liver and onions, collard greens and corn. I read about a technique in Mark Bittman's column a while back that recreates the taste of grilled corn without a grill. What you do is heat up a cast iron skillet, melt some butter, and pan fry the corn. It looked beautiful, but unfortunately tasted mushy and flavorless. I think our CSA farmers gave us cow corn! Oops! We each took a couple of bites, but couldn't finish it.

The rest of the meal was a huge success. We always like liver and onions. This time around it was bison liver. Here is my recipe. For the collard greens, I basically followed ChezSuzanne's recipe off of Food 52. My husband exclaimed, "These are the best collard greens that I have ever tasted!" and a few bites later "These are amazing." They are definitely worth a try. It includes garlic chips, bacon, and a butter and apple cider vinegar sauce- need I say more?


Here is a close up of the garlic chips and bacon bits awaiting their fate (That's a small plate).

This post is part of Two for Tuesdays at A Moderate Life, Tasty Tuesday at Balancing Beauty and Bedlam, and Tempt my Tummy Tuesday at Blessed with Grace.

7 comments:

Heather S-G said...

Okay, just the garlic chips and bacon alone are enough to make me swoon! This sounds delicious...and I just happen to have some collards beggin' to have some attention paid to them! YUM! Thanks so much for sharing w/ t4t this week =)

a moderate life said...

Hey bunnies! You never did tell me where in NYC you all live...great neighborhoods for food in brooklyn are park slope and bay ridge. Have lived both places and adore the market shopping environment! Bittman also makes a steamed corn in milk for those BAD bits of cow corn! It really perks it up. I have to try the liver and onions, but frankly am fearful! Though, I love liverwurst! As for the collards, well, you had me at bacon! ;) Thanks for sharing on the two for tuesday recipe blog hop again! Alex@amoderatelife

Hunger and Thirst said...

Boy, it just doesn't get any better than this - simple and delicious. Liver and onions was one of my gran's favorites, so this makes me think of her. Thanks you for sharing you meal with Two for Tuesday. I've gotta make some garlic chips!

Christy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Christy said...

Liver and onions is on my to try list - I am afraid to make it because I have never tasted it and am not sure WHAT is good liver and onions. LOL - I may just have to give your recipe a try - I have liver in the freezer waiting to be eaten in some way shape or form! Thanks for linking to Two for Tuesdays!

Rebecka said...

I love liver and onions and wish my family did as well, unfortunately, no takers at my house! I'm destined to go without until I'm old and grey! Maybe I can find a restaurant that serves liver and onions??? Bing...here I come!

I grew up eating my moms version which is very similar to yours. The collard greens go so well with the liver, what a great meal!

Anonymous said...

Yum, I love liver and onions!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...