Monday, September 13, 2010

Fresh ham with Maple Glaze

I have only been blogging for 3.5 months, but I feel like I have learned so much. When I started, I hadn't really read any other blogs and I definitely didn't have ANY technical knowledge. As much as I have learned, I still have a ways to go. In order to keep learning and growing, I am going to begin a couple of challenges this week. The first is Back to School, Back to Blogging at Kludgy Mom. Kludgy Mom will provide weekly "assignments" to teach us how to improve our blogs. I think there are over 200 people participating, and we are all getting linked up through Twitter, Facebook and Blog Frog. The second program is Project Food Blog at Food Buzz. This program has a series of 10 blogging challenges in which almost 2,000 food bloggers will be whittled down to one winner. The point of this program is to find the best food blogger. I have pretty realistic expectations. I would like to make it through the first round, and gain some exposure. I will be sharing my Project Food Blog challenge post later this week.


Ahh, I love it when one night's dinner feeds into the dinner of the next night. Tonight we had rice cooked in the broth from the brisket last night. Plus, we had some corn, kale and fresh ham. I wish I had a photo of the ham fresh from the oven, but we immediately started picking pieces of the delicious crispy skin, and it quickly went from beautiful to ugly. Even after losing it's beautiful skin, the ham was still tasty. Here's the recipe for the ham and glaze:

Fresh Ham with Maple Glaze
1 fresh ham, 7-8 pounds
1 C maple syrup
1 T brown mustard
1 T ground cloves
1 T chili powder
1/4 C apple cider vinegar

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

Score the skin and fat of the ham in a diamond shape with lines about 1 inch apart. Mix the rest of the ingredients for the glaze. Place the ham in a large Dutch oven skin side up. Pour half the glaze over the ham. Bake for 30 minutes covered. Pour the rest of the glaze over the ham and return covered to the oven. Baste the ham every 30 minutes. After a total of 1 1/2 hours, remove the lid and cook uncovered for another 1 1/2 hours. Continue basting every 30 minutes.

This post is a part of Hearth and Soul, Top Ten Tuesday, Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, and Tuesday Twister.

10 comments:

Diana H said...

You need some bourbon in that maple glaze... sounds delicious. I need a dutch oven, it's on the list, but I haven't found the time yet.

Anonymous said...

Yummy! CSA is really important. If I ever move back to New York, I will be looking you up for some tips on where to get my veggies! Thanks for sharing!

Miz Helen said...

We have an organic garden, I guess we are our own CSA. We also love fresh ham, and will try your recipe. Thank you...

A SPICY PERSPECTIVE said...

A perfect fall recipe! Looks delicious!

Christy said...

Oh, I haven't cooked a ham in forever - I love a crunchy crust on them! Thanks for linking to hearth'nsoul!

Anonymous said...

The maple glaze sounds especially delicious!

Lazaro Cooks said...

Great dish. I love the balance of sweet and tart in the maple glaze.

Hunger and Thirst said...

Thanks for linking wit Hearth and Soul. Great to learn all about blogging isn't it? I think that the best food bloggers out there are better than some of the magazines and books I've read lately.

I always pick at the crispy skin. It's a habit I learned from my Gran :)

Nancy said...

I have been blogging for 1 year and I still feel like I have so much technical and social media learning to do, just as my kitchen learning process I guess it doesn't end:) But you seem to be doing great:) I am loving this recipe is sounds so good and warm.

a moderate life said...

Oh Citay!!! As a kid, my mother made a fresh ham every christmas and I remember many a hand slapped away from the good cracklin skin! YUMMY!!! gonna have to make one soon, and I like your idea of maple glaze. Good luck with your challenges! I am sure you are gonna do great, because you are great! Thanks for sharing on the hearth and soul hop! Alex

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...