Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Mediterranean Salad

One of the great things about eating out is getting inspiration for dishes to make at home. Last weekend we had lunch at Miriam Restaurant in Park Slope, Brooklyn. I had a Mediterranean salad that was delicious. It was fresh and used seasonal ingredients. I promised myself that I would make it at home this week, and here it is. It was a great opportunity to use up some green, yellow, red and orange varieties of heirloom tomatoes. We had gotten some sorrel at the farmers' market. I had never used sorrel before, and it provided a great lemon taste to the salad. One regret: I didn't seed the tomatoes. After I had them chopped up, I wished I had. So I placed them in a small strainer to remove the excess liquid while I chopped the onions and cucumbers. I tried to recreate the look of the dish at Miriam with only moderate success. I just used my hands to form it when I really should have used a ring mold. Ring molds count as gadgets we do not have space for in our small kitchen, so the rustic look will have to do. We served our Mediterranean salad with some pan fried salmon, but it could be a meal on its own.







Mediterranean Salad
1 eggplant (or 4 very small eggplants in our case), thinly sliced
5 small tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1/2 red onion, finely chopped
1 medium English cucumber, finely chopped
16 oz chickpeas
2 T sorrel, finely chopped
feta
oil
sea salt

Heat a large skillet and add a drizzle of oil. Place eggplant in the pan and sprinkle with sea salt. Cook for 2 minutes on each side (or until tender). Cook batches of eggplant until it is all ready. While cooking, chop the rest of the vegetables. Combine the tomatoes, onion, cucumber, chickpeas and sorrel. Dish up the veggies, wrap in eggplant slices and sprinkle feta over the top.

This post is part of Simple Lives Thursdays at GNOWFGLINS, Things I Love Thursday at Diaper Diaries, Tasty Traditions at Coupon Cooking, and Ultimate Recipe Swap at Life as Mom.

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Yummy-thanks for sharing such wonderful recipes. I'm glad I found you on Ultimate Recipe Swap. Thanks for linking to Tasty Traditions last week. Please join me today. Have a great day!

Andrea Dekker said...

I was looking for something to use up extra veggies...and I think this just might be it!

Thanks for sharing.

Nancy said...

Oh that looks delicious! I could eat it just as a meal and often. Thanks for sharing :)

Gelareh said...

I love all things eggplant.. this looks yummy :)

Couscous & Consciousness said...

What a great looking salad - love the idea of the eggplant draped around the outside. BTW, give me platters of rustic looking food, over "cheffy" looking moulds any day - it's all in the taste anyway :-)
Sue

Soma said...

I am a big sucker of anything mediterranean. This is a lovely recipe full of flavors.

Soma -www.ecurry.com

Anonymous said...

This salad looks wonderful, thanks for sharing.

Christy said...

I love the rustic look of this salad - and the combo of flavors! Yum!

laurelpaula said...

Yummy! I know what I will be making for dinner tonight!!! Many thanks for the inspiration and your very kind words!!!! Cheers, Paula Laurel at mydiaryofafoodie

Anonymous said...

A lovely salad - what a great combination of flavors!

Anonymous said...

Your salad sounds delicious and healthy, but what i like most is the great presentation!

A SPICY PERSPECTIVE said...

What a lovely dish!

Unknown said...

Love salads like this and seems rustic was the right way to go -it's beautiful! Funny b/c I want ring molds bad, just always forget to pick some up!

Silvia said...

Lovely and fresh salad, it is a whole meal in itself! beautiful combo. Love my ring molds, you can make perfect little towers!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...