Thursday, September 16, 2010

Composting

We are composting! Or, at least saving vegetable scraps to put in a compost bin. I always thought composting was out of our reach because we live in a small apartment without a yard or access to any dirt, but last Saturday we discovered otherwise. Our pick-up point for our CSA share moved to a community garden, and they have a compost system. Our CSA organizers pointed out we can bring in our vegetable scraps. They suggested putting the peels in the freezer for the week, and delivering them to the community garden when we pick up our share each Saturday. It was one of those moments when I felt silly that I hadn't thought of that myself. Of course! Freeze the scraps! Why didn't I think of that? At least we are composting now.

We are still getting in the habit of saving our vegetable peels, but we are getting better each day. It's great to see our garbage really decreasing in volume.


Tonight we had chicken baked with kohlrabi, turnips, onions and garlic with sides of beet greens and brown rice. Baked chicken is one of our favorite meals for cool weather because it is so versatile and forgiving. We placed a chicken in our Dutch oven, surrounded in by chopped vegetables, covered it, and baked it. Cook it for 1 to 1.5 hours depending on the size of your chicken.

Here's another post on Oven Roasted Chicken with Vegetables.

This post is part of Fight Back Fridays at Food Renegade, Frugal Fridays and Grocery Cart Challene Recipe Swap.

6 comments:

Sense of Home Kitchen said...

Excellent idea for composting while living in an apartment.

Dinner looks good and so healthy!

-Brenda

Anonymous said...

Aww. Now I feel guilty. I used to compost when I lived in a house, but I recently moved to an apartment and stopped.

No excuses!

~KristenM
(AKA FoodRenegade)

City Share said...

Aww, don't feel guilty. We just started this week. You can start with us!

Kristen said...

Hi,

I love your blog and I am a follower. Please stop by my blog, I have something for you in today's post!

Kristen

http://bitsandpiecesstory.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Yes, freezing garbage is a great idea, just don't forget about it, lol! Your dinner looks delicious and that burger with the onions piled up on it, yummy:)

Christy said...

It is just a matter of thinking outside the box!! And your dinner looks yummy!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...