Monday, September 20, 2010

The Feast

I am participating in the Foodbuzz Project Food Blog challenge. If you like what you read, please vote for me by clicking on my profile in the right sidebar and following the directions.

In our neighborhood, The Feast refers to the Feast of San Gennaro. Imagine a county fair on a narrow street in downtown Manhattan. It's wild. Lots of stands selling sausage and peppers, deep fried oreos, zeppoles and pizza. There are even some small rides on the side streets including a mini-ferris wheel and parachute drop. There is a stage with live entertainment, and each night we are serenaded by a band playing Italian American classics such as the Rocky Theme Song, New York, NY, That's Amore and more. Oh, and it lasts for 10 days. Here are few photos:


This is the view from our front door.


Here is a view down our block with one of New York's finest.


Another angle of our block and one of the many t-shirt stands.

We thought we'd have dinner inspired by The Feast. We had some spicy sausage with potatoes, red pepper, garlic and kale.


This is an imprecise recipe. We used 1 lb of spicy sausage, 3 potatoes, 1 red pepper and 1 large bunch of kale. I cooked the sausage and potatoes for 30 minutes at 300 degrees, and then added the red pepper and kale and cooked it for another 15 minutes. It was piled high in a cast iron pan, and it cooked down nicely. Enjoy your own feast.

This post is part of Hearth 'n Soul Blog Hop at A Moderate Life, Top Ten Tuesday, Tasty Tuesday, Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, and Tuesday Twister.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds like so much fun! And the sausage dish sounds so delicious! Good luck with the Foodbuzz competition! Angie

Hunger and Thirst said...

Oooh, great idea. A sausage and peppers skillet dinner is pretty standard fare around my house, but I've never put kale in there, and I love kale. Thanks for sharing with Hearth 'n Soul this week :)

Couscous & Consciousness said...

Oh, I love the look of that dish - it looks gorgeously colourful and I just know that would taste great. What a wonderfully vibrant neighbourhood you live in - I am very envious :-)
Sue
P.S. You've got my vote

Heather S-G said...

I love that big skillet full of comfort!! It's seriously gorgeous....and best of luck in the PFB competition! Thanks so much for sharing this w/ the hns hop this week =)

Sense of Home Kitchen said...

Comfort food! We have had the sausage, potato, pepper combination quite often, it is very good. I like the addition of kale though, I hadn't thought of adding that.

Looks like fun is right outside your front door!

-Brenda

Melynda@Scratch Made Food! said...

The street fair looks like a lot of fun, and that skillet is going to be tried here. Thanks so much for sharing.

Miz Helen said...

Just stopping by from Tuesday Twister. We love New York and your pictures are great. Love your skillet of goodness. Thank You...

Christy said...

Oh what amazing fun!! That meal looks so delicious - I have made something similar but never with kale -yum. Good luck in the contest! Thanks for linking this to hearth'nsoul!

Nancy said...

The festival looks like alot of fun, and I can just imagine the fantastic food. Good luck on the PFB challenge!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, I'd do anything to be at that festival right about now! Sending a vote your way, thanks for making my day!
-Gina-

Allison said...

Wow, what a great event. Looks like so much fun and those sausages and peppers look delicious!I have bookmarked it because I think it has moved to the top of my weekend cooking priority list!

a moderate life said...

Citay! OH the feast! God I love going into the city to do the feasts! I used to work right down near carmine street and every year that st. carmine festival was so much fun! Very cool! I voted for you my love on food buzz and I am sharing you on my thoughts on friday link love along with a bunch of other great foodies who are part of the hearth and soul hop or my bloggie friends. I so want one of the "good guys!" to win the competition! And by good guys I mean folks who LOVE food the way we do! :) Thanks for linking up to the hearth and soul hop! Alex@amoderatelife

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...