Tuesday, September 28, 2010

100th Post

This is the 100th post on City Share. This mile marker comes at an appropriate time because we are approaching a time of transition. All the posts thus far have been shaped by cooking and eating our way through our CSA share, but our summer share will end in a month. We are now researching some winter vegetable and meat shares (if you have any suggestions for NYC please let me know). Another change is that I have become motivated to not just keep eating local food, but to begin to incorporate more traditional foods into our diets. I have been inspired by Jenny at Nourished Kitchen and Ann Marie at Cheeseslave and many more. On top of these changes in our diets, we are going to move to Brooklyn next month. We are very excited to have found a lovely apartment with double the space of our current place.

To help me incorporate more traditional foods, I will be participating in Kelly the Kitchen Kop's e-class on Real Food for Rookies. The class has actually already started, but we have been busy lately so I'm just getting ready to begin on my own now. I will be sure to share my new found knowledge from her class.



In celebration of the 100th post, we have a delicious dinner to share with you. We had a flavorful grass-fed steak with sauteed leeks and mushrooms, a beet salad with yogurt dressing and green salad. Ahh, it was a fabulous treat dinner. The steak was delicious, the leeks and mushrooms were so good that we just kept eating them by the forkful before they even made it to the table, and the beet salad made my husband declare that "Beets are dirt candy."


Mushrooms and Leeks

1 T butter
2 leeks, the whites cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced
3/4 lbs mushrooms, chopped (we used shitake and oyster)
1 T sage, finely chopped
salt and pepper

Heat a cast iron pan over medium heat and add butter. Once the butter is melted, add leeks and cook until translucent. Add mushrooms and sage and cook until the mushroom are tender. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Delicious eaten straight or over chicken, beef, rice, or pretty much anything else.


Look at this beautiful selection of beets.


After they are fork tender, peel the beets with a spoon.


Combine the ingredients for a dressing.


We added the beets and some chopped up carrot tops (parsley would also work) to the dressing, and mixed to combine.

Beet Salad with Yogurt Dressing

5 beets, scrubbed
1 t dry dill
tops of 2 carrots, chopped
1/4 small onion, finely chopped
1 clove of garlic, minced
1/4 C yogurt
salt and pepper

Bring a small pot of water to a boil, and add the beets. Cook until a fork can easily pierce the beets. Remove from the water and let cool. Use a spoon to remove the skin (we sliced ours in half first for the photo). Chop into bite sized pieces. In a bowl, combine dill, carrot tops, onion, garlic and yogurt. Add the beets and stir to coat the beets with dressing. Chill for 30 minutes to let the flavors combine. Salt and pepper to taste.

Thanks to all of you for reading. I appreciate your feedback and comments.

This post is part of Real Food Wednesday, Works-for-Me-Wednesday, Simple Lives Thursday, Ultimate Recipe Swap, Pennywise Platter Thursday, and Tasty Traditions.

8 comments:

Melynda@Scratch Made Food! said...

What a great meal, congrats on the move, and I look forward to more from your new kitchen!

Tamlynn said...

I didn't know carrot tops were good to eat. I'll have to try it!

Marisa said...

Lovely looking beet salad! And very interesting concept for a blog. Will be keeping an eye on it.

Nancy said...

Congratulations on the 100th post! The beats are so pretty and delicious looking. I look forward to seeing your evolution and all of the great recipes.

Lazaro Cooks said...

Delicious meal indeed. The mushrooms & leeks is right up my alley. Those are some gorgeous looking beets as well.

Congrats on your 100th post. I look forward to more of your kitchen adventures.

Not Just Another Jennifer said...

Very cool! Stumbled you from Liz's BlogFrog!

Melissa said...

Congrats on your 100th post! I totally love mushrooms and leeks... and am trying my best to like beets again. I say again because I used to love them as a kid because they turned my rice pink.

What a yummy meal!

Melissa {adventuroo}

Emily T. Thomas said...

Oh, I am IN LOVE with beets, wer I mean dirt candy! smile. Have been making Kvass and the russian beet salaad recipe in NT. Can't wait to try yours!
LIB
http://bit.ly/9ZjoY1

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...