Monday, March 14, 2011

The Perfect Eggs

I have been trying to eat eggs on a regular basis because they are chock full of such a wonderful combination of nutrients and protein, but it's been tough getting them down while I have been pregnant. My fall back method for including them in my diet has been French Toast. I could eat French Toast every day and not get sick of it. I know that eggs are better for you when the yolks are still runny, so yesterday I ventured out of my comfort zone to try some soft cooked eggs. They were fabulous! In the past, I have often ended up with yolks that are mostly cooked, but I think I have found the key to the perfect soft cooked eggs. I didn't add the eggs until the water was already boiling, cooked them for five minutes, and plunged them in ice cold water. The yolks had a delicious, creamy texture, and tasted great on some toast.



Soft-Boiled Eggs

4 eggs
salt and pepper to taste

Bring water to a boil. Add the eggs and bring back to a boil. Once the water is boiling, reduce it to a simmer. Cook for a total of five minutes for large eggs. Remove eggs from the pot and add to ice cold water. Once the eggs are cool enough to hold, crack open with a knife, and scoop the egg out of the shell. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.

Unfortunately, we were too hungry and didn't take a photo of the perfect eggs. You will have to use your imagination to see the runny orange yolks and firm egg white over some toast. Delicious!

Our Meal Plan for the week:

Monday - Chicken, sausage and bean stew
Tuesday - Anniversary dinner at L'Ecole
Wednesday - Dinner out while running errands
Thursday - Leftover Indian style vegetables and lentils
Friday - Homemade pizza

This post is part of Meatless Mondays, Monday Mania at the Healthy Home Economist, Mouthwatering Mondays, Midnight Maniac Meatless Mondays, and Menu Plan Monday.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We love soft boiled eggs in our home, too. They are a regular part of our after church brunch along with homemade waffles. When we have company, I find that no one knows how to open them and eat them. I guess people just don't cook soft boiled eggs anymore. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I ate them growing up and still do and now also make them for my daughter every morning. She loves them so much that she even gets out of bed earlier to have enough time to eat her eggs.
Mine need to cook for exactly 6 minutes, because of the altitude.

Emily T. Thomas said...

I am working up to these as a reformed egg hater!
I did a post on these last year (http://bit.ly/9JkHLA) - my kids call them egg-in-a cup - which always makes me smile and remember the jerk's pizza in a cup:)
Blessings!
LIB

Roxana | a trEATs affair said...

i try to have eggs for breakfast at least 3 times a week but absolutely hate runny eggs :))
glad to hear yours turned out exactly how you wanted them.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...