Tuesday, March 1, 2011

CSA Time

A sample haul from our CSA last summer.


I am really missing having a CSA (Community Supported Agricultural) Share. It's so nice getting a big delivery of fresh, local vegetables each week to guide our eating. I had intended to find a Winter CSA, but we were in England for a couple of weeks and then my first trimester nausea set in, so I missed the sign-up. We had a couple of warmer days last week, and it had me starting to think about Spring and CSA sign-up. We really enjoyed our Foodstockings CSA last summer, but we have since moved to Brooklyn and its Lower East Side location is too inconvenient. I went over to the trusty Local Harvest website to find some CSAs in our Brooklyn neighborhood. Can you believe that some of the groups already have a waiting list? The deliveries don't start until June here in NYC. I thought I was planning ahead, but I guess I'm not alone.

So this is my PSA: If you are thinking of joining a CSA, start researching your options.

Happy Eating!

This post is part of Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, Delectable Tuesday, Tasty Tuesday, Dr. Laura's Tasty Tuesday, Tasty Tuesday at Beauty and Bedlam, Hearth and Soul Blog Hop, and Works-For-Me-Wednesday.

7 comments:

TexaGermaFinlaNadian said...

I really love this idea. We are not back in the states long enough to participate, but one day we will. We are lucky to get locally farm grown veges all over the place here in Germany. I hope you enjoy your fresh veges! Happy Tasty Tuesdays :)
http://texagermanadian.blogspot.com/

b. lee said...

love it! so looking forward to visiting our local farm ... spring dreamin' * *

Emily T. Thomas said...

Love this!! as a farmer (topoftheworldfarm.com) I am so encouraged to see people getting on the sustainable bandwagon. It's easy to feel alone when you live int he middle of nowhere...
Blessings1
LIB
http://bit.ly/gjDQOS

Unknown said...

I love CSAs!!! I just started last week, and am learning all about cooking some fab new dishes! I just tried rainbow chard for the first time... and oyster mushrooms... and I'm about to find something to do with my kale (also a first)!

I'm hosting a CSN giveaway this week and would love if you hopped on over to www.ekatskitchen.com to enter! :)

a moderate life said...

Hi Sweets! Hope all is well with you! Yep, more and more people are joining CSA's because they know the value, it is local, seasonal and oh so good! I am lucky to be able to grow a lot of what I want and then belong to a milk club that offers organic veggies every other week. Thanks for sharing this on the hearth and soul hop! Hugs! Alex

Let'sMakeADifference said...

Congrats on your pregnancy! I had never heard of CSA's. We farm and I DO enjoy growing a majority of our food. Hope that you have a good week!

Anonymous said...

We love our CSA! This will be our 11th year! Ours doesn't start until late May, but they offered a few winter boxes this year, and we got some nice root vegetables and squashes.

Erin, here's a bunch of ways to use kale!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...