Thursday, March 3, 2011

Mushroom Stuffed Turkey Breast

This last weekend we picked up a turkey breast at the farmers' market. We had never made just a turkey breast before, so we asked the farmer for some suggestions on how to prepare it. He recommended butterflying it and filling it with a stuffing of our choice. We decided to follow his advice and chose to make some mushroom stuffing.

We got half way through stuffing the turkey breast and realized that we were going to need something to hold it together. I should really invest in some kitchen twine for these types of situations, but we didn't have any handy, so we started hunting down something that could do the job. I have been working on a small rag rug out of some old cotton curtains, and decided to sacrifice a narrow strip of fabric to hold together our dinner. (I swear it's clean!) It worked like a charm.

Besides the hunt for a kitchen twine substitute, the stuffed turkey breast was really easy to prepare. I always feel that anything stuffed seems a little special, and this made for a mid-week treat dinner. The mushroom stuffing is full of flavor and quick to prepare. We served ours with quinoa and broccoli.

Butterfly the turkey breast. Because it is so much meat, we put half aside in the freezer to use later. Half the breast will still comfortably serve 4 people.

After placing the stuffing in the center of the butterflied breast, roll up the meat and fasten with twine.

We enjoyed our stuffed turkey breast with broccoli and quinoa.

Mushroom Stuffed Turkey Breast
serves 4

Half a turkey breast
2 T butter
8 oz mushrooms, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1/4 t ground thyme
1/4 t garlic powder
a few shakes of oregano
1/4 C Parmesan cheese
1/2 C chicken stock
kitchen twine

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Butterfly the turkey breast. (We set aside half and put it in the freezer.) In a cast iron skillet, melt the butter and add the mushrooms and onions. Cook until the mushrooms are beginning to brown and the onions soften. Remove from the heat and add the thyme, garlic, oregano and Parmesan cheese. Place the stuffing in the center of the turkey breast. Roll it up and fasten with twine. Place the rolled turkey breast in the cast iron pan over high heat. Brown on each side, add the chicken stock, and transfer to the oven. Bake for 30 minutes (or until it is cooked through). Let rest for 5 to 10 minutes and slice. Spoon some of the juice over the turkey.

This post is part of Alphabe-Thursday, Pennywise Platter Thursday, Full Plate Thursdays, Simple Lives Thursday, The Ultimate Recipe Swap, Tip Day Thursday, Fresh, Clean and Pure Friday, Foodie Friday, Fun with Food with Food, Fresh Bites Friday, and I'm Lovin' It.

21 comments:

aspiritofsimplicity said...

Oh my goodness that looks delish! I don't know why stuffing and rolling and tying up with twine intimidates me. It shouldn't.

Susan Anderson said...

Oh, wow. Mushroom lover that I am, I want some!

=)

Judie said...

That really is a wonderful idea, and saving half is perfect for just the two of us.

Diane said...

Looks delicious and I'm hungry!

Rocky Mountain Woman said...

That looks simply lovely! Healthy and yummy...

Mushrooms are so wonderful....thanks for the idea!

Jenn @leftoverqueen said...

Looks so appetizing! Love the flavors!

mrs. c said...

I think this looks delicious! I just cooked a turkey breast for the first time this winter. I usually get a whole turkey and we only eat part. Thanks for the recipe.

Unknown said...

WOW! totally droolworthy! What a lovely, lovely post... I often find myself missing something key (like kitchen twine) with a need to improvise... in a serious way. I love mushrooms and think your idea of a mushroom stuffing is brilliant.

ropcorn said...

Mmmm! That looks and sounds both yummy and tasty! Thanks for sharing the recipe. :-)

Miz Helen said...

Your stuffed Turkey Breast looks delicious, and is a lovely presentation. Thank you so much for sharing it with Full Plate Thursday and please come back!

Unknown said...

I once had the same "no kitchen twine problem" and so now I have enough to stretch from here to China!

I love poultry stuffed with mushrooms! Love the sides too :) Nice work!!!

Mari's World said...

You know I may be able to do that too! Looks delicious

-Heidi said...

mmmm that looks so good!

Sarah @ naughtytastebud said...

this looks & sounds amazing! I'm so looking forward to our CSA this year...doesn't begin until May, but supplementing with our garden, I'm hoping to only have to visit the grocery for things like flour & wine :)

Anonymous said...

whoda' thunk???
so easy
turkey without all
the muss & fuss
we go thru to do a
whole bird
great idea

Su-sieee! Mac said...

Thank you kindly for the recipe. I have yet to try stuffing any kind of poultry breast. You make it sound so easy, so I think I'll try finding a turkey breast to stuff.

Theresa Plas said...

Great recipe! All looks very healthy and easy peasy!

Simply Life said...

oh this is so impressive- perfect meal for guests!

Jenny said...

This could also be perfect for a mini-Thanksgiving feast!

Could you tell the difference with the turkey?

Love your creative genius in using a strip of fabric. We, too, always hunt for twine. I finally broke down and bought a roll of cooking twine and hid it in back of a kitchen drawer so it wouldn't disappear for craft projects!

Thanks for a uniquely delicious stop on our little journey through Alphabe-Thursday's letter 'u'.

A+

Anonymous said...

I love turkey and finding new ways to prepare it. I'm totally bookmarking this to try soon.... looks so good!

Miz Helen said...

Congratulations!
You are featured on Full Plate Thursday this week 3-10-11. Be sure to come pick up your Red Plate and Enjoy! In addition you will be featured on my Whats For Dinner Next Week check on Sunday.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...