Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Summer Tomatoes


I woke up yesterday morning racking my brain for a dinner that would require no cooking and use our leftover pesto. I decided it would be wonderful to have sandwiches with fresh mozzarella, tomato and pesto. We could get some bread and cheese from around the corner, but finding GOOD tomatoes is a little bit more difficult. I never used to like tomatoes. I blame it on those mealy, unripe tomatoes that show up in the grocery store throughout the year. I have now decided that I don't hate all tomatoes. I just hate bad tomatoes.

I got to work and learned that one of my coworkers had brought in some home grown tomatoes to share. What luck! She offered me a beautiful, deep red tomato. She said that she will be bringing some in most days... I'll have to be careful to not get too greedy, and I'll have to think of a way to thank her.

We enjoyed our simple supper of bread, fresh mozzarella, tomato and walnut pesto. It was so good that we had it again today for lunch. The tomato was perfect and complemented the creamy mozzarella and the basil and garlic of the pesto. It was the essence of summertime in a sandwich.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...