Saturday, July 17, 2010

Week 7

This week's share looks skimpier than previous deliveries, but it has a nice variety. We will be enjoying bok choy, cucumbers, kale, carrots, summer squash, zucchini, lettuce, kohlrabi and scapes.


We went to the Union Square Greenmarket to round out our veggies. While we have been eating a lot of vegetables since starting the share, I don't feel like we have gotten much variety. We have eaten a lot of greens, radishes and salad turnips, and I'm ready for something new. Last week, I went to a reading by Leda Meredith on her book, The Locavore’s Handbook: A Busy Person’s Guide to Eating Local on a Budget. One of her tips for saving money was to get to the farmers' market at the end of the day when farmers are packing up and sell things at a discounted rate. We decided to try it out. I felt a little bit like a cast member from Gleaners, but the deals were incredible. A pint of blueberries, a beautiful big bunch of basil, and green beans were each only $1! We came home with a bargain shopping high.


We also got some little baby eggplants at the greenmarket. I had just seen a recipe earlier in the day for Eggplant Caviar in an old issue of Real Simple. I loved the name and the recipe, so we gave it a try. We didn't have all the ingredients, so I made some adjustments. Here is my version of the recipe:

Eggplant Caviar inspired by Real Simple
4 baby eggplants or 1 eggplant, peeled and chopped
2 scallions, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
2 T olive oil
1 T apple cider vinegar

Saute the eggplant until very tender. Combine the ingredients and smash with a fork to break up the eggplant. Enjoy with bread or pita.

The version I actually prepared was too heavy on scallions, so I have adjusted the quantity. I only coarsely chopped them and they were a bit chewy, so I have adjusted the directions to finely chopped. Because of this, yours will look a bit different from my photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...