Monday, February 7, 2011

Jambalaya

I was inspired by Laura over at Cooking in Kenzo and her efforts to eat entirely out of her freezer, fridge and pantry. I decided it was time for us to undertake a similar effort. Now she has an enviable situation of being the proud owner of a chest freezer, and I can only dream of such food storage capacity, but it's still time to clean out some leftovers before they become freezer burned.

My husband made up a delicious batch of jambalaya out of our leftovers. We have both worked at restaurants in the past while we looked for "real" jobs- I usually worked in the front of house and he usually worked in the kitchen. At one restaurant, he made big batches of jambalaya in a convection oven. They threw all the ingredients in raw and cooked it all together. This time around he made it in a dutch oven. We didn't really have enough rice in the cupboard, so he supplemented it with some wild rice we had on hand. It turned out really well, but think of this recipe more as inspiration for cleaning out your own fridge.


Jambalaya
2 T coconut oil
1/2 lb andouille sausage, sliced
1 lb chicken, cut into chunks
1 red, yellow, and green pepper, roughly chopped
1/2 onion, chopped
pinch of saffron
1 t salt
1 t garlic powder
1 t black pepper
1/2 t cayenne
1 t oregano
1 t thyme
1 C Basmati rice
1 C wild rice
2 C water

Combine the oil, sausage, chicken, vegetables and spices and cook until the vegetables soften. Add the rice and cook for a few minutes. Add the water and simmer covered for 45 minutes. Enjoy!

This post is part of Hearth and Soul Blog Hop, Dr. Laura's Tasty Tuesday, Tuesday Night Supper Club, Tuesdays at the Table, Tasty Tuesday, Made from Scratch Tuesdays, Works-for-me-Wednesday, Frugal Fridays, and...



14 comments:

Laura said...

Thanks for the shout out! This meal looks delicious, too.

By the way, I hear you on the "not being a great veggie eater" front. I've broken down and started drinking a V-8 every day just to try to get the vegetables in me. Of course, it probably does nothing good for my salt intake...

City Share said...

I should think about V8 too. I think there is a low sodium version...

Heather S-G said...

Yum, sounds good! I love the addition of the wild rice...nice way to switch it up. I wish I had a chest freezer, too...aaaahhhh..... Thanks for sharing w/ the hearth and soul hop this week =)

TexaGermaFinlaNadian said...

Yum yum! Love me some Jumbalaya!
http://texagermanadian.blogspot.com/

tigerfish said...

Certainly looks like a good one-dish meal!

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

Yum! This sounds delish!

Emily aka Cook for 6 said...

Your photo made me dash over from Tasty Tuesdays! Bookmarking this for a future menu! Love adding as many veggies as I can sneak in for myself!

Christy said...

I love when a "clean out the fridge/freezer/pantry" meal turns out delicious and this sounds like a real winner! Thanks for sharing it with us at the Hearth and Soul Hop!

Unknown said...

what a fabulous meal...i bet the crunchiness of wild rice adds such great texture...this looks perfect for a cold winter night. thank you for sharing with tuesday night supper club.

Anonymous said...

Love this excellent version of down-home southern comfort! My freezer, fridge, and pantry are WAY overdue for a thorough cleaning out, including the 6 cans of escargot that my husband bought for some strange reason. I think I'd rather have what you've got.

Tasty Eats At Home said...

This sounds delicious with the wild rice. I love pantry clean-out recipes! I think we're in need of that - pantry and freezer are well-stocked, and grocery budget's a bit low.

Unknown said...

Sounds delicious! Sometimes those random combinations make the best meals. Thanks for linking up to Made From Scratch Tuesday!

kellypea said...

We are BIG fans of freezer food! Haven't made jambalaya in a couple of years. Sounds quite tasty :)

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

Yum! This looks divine!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...